Jazz & Faith
“Jazz motifs emerge. It is from the discordant that we might hope for creative resolution, or at least innovative progressions, and this seems a lot like redemption. And much of it is worked out playing off and with those willing. If you're one, please sit in for awhile. I hope for kind and creative interactions around meaningful topics of mutual interest. As in jazz, maybe together we can create something greater than ourselves.” email@example.com
Some Favorite Sites
· KJazz 88.1 Jazz Radio Online (CSU Long Beach)
· nuTsie Top 100 Jazz Songs of All Time + Audio and Video Clips
· nuTsie Top 100 Vocal Jazz Standards + Audio & Video Clips
· Official Website http://www.wyntonmarsalis.org/
· Audio tracks + photos http://www.last.fm/music/Wynton+Marsalis
· Jazz at Lincoln Center http://www.jalc.org/
· Official Website http://www.milesdavis.com/
· Kind of Blue http://www.miles-davis.com/
· Last fm audio + video
· So What video
Last fm audio + video http://www.last.fm/music/Oscar+Peterson
· NPR Music
· Tribute http://www.billevanswebpages.com·
Waltz for Debbie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH3GSrCmzC8
· Audio Catalog http://www2.selu.edu/orgs/34skid//html/thematic_catalogue.ht
What if we had a "jazz-shaped" faith?
Ralph Ellison said that all of American life is "jazz-shaped." I think that this raises a number of questions for what a jazz-shaped faith might entail.
...Christians embraced the tension and mystery of our faith?
...Experienced church like a jazz ensemble, listening to the beat of the image of God in each other?
...community meant that we felt connected not only with those that we can see, but with those who have and have yet to follow Jesus?
...the scriptures were a song with room for us to add our voice?
...every moment of life with Jesus was seen as a one-of-a-kind masterpiece?
...we knew why caged-birds sing?
...we are approaching the Christian faith in America in a way that is not even American?
...so much of what has gone wrong with America has also produced something that is right, good and beautiful?
Arts & Sciences: Levy Mixes Jazz & Faith http://magazine.clas.virginia.edu/x4564.xml
Bill Carter & The Presbybop Quartet (Psalms without Words)
Faith in Jazz: Thriving on a Riff
Jesus, Jazz & Buddhism