What is the probable reason for the psalm’s writing?
What are the specific requests being made?
How is God perceived/make a difference?
Hebrew poetry = parallel ideas
Psalms help direct our emotions toward God
Models for prayer: situation/problem + feeling expressed + God = perspective & peace (resolve)
Hope for God’s acting in present/future is based on His past faithfulness
Enemies can be spiritual as well as physical
Zion = Jerusalem = Temple = God’s presence
Psalm 11 Overwhelmed with Unrighteousness
- David hiding I Sam 18 ff
- Protection: Who will you trust?
- Foundations of law & order have collapsed - What can the righteous do?
- “But the Lord is in His holy Temple & still rules….”
- (cf Revelation)
Psalm 12 Help - Godly are fast disappearing
- Concern for poor & oppressed
- God will rise to rescue
- Confidence in God’s promises
Psalm 13How long o Lord?
- Feeling forgotten
- Struggling with anguish, sorrow, enemy
- But I trust in your unfailing love + will rejoice + will sing
Psalm 14Fools & Their Folly
- Fool: there is no God
- BC they are corrupt/dont do good
- The Lord’s assessment of humans
- The Lord is with those who obey Him
- create an equation for Psalm 11-14
- create one for a current situation you are in
Psalm 15Who may enter God’s presence/worship?
- Jefferson: the true gentleman (Lady?)
- Make a list & match a person/ Do a self assessment?
Psalm 16 In His Presence
- Every good thing comes from God (name 5)
- Godly people are the true heroes (name 3)
- You = my portion & cup (inheritance) - cf Job
- vss 7-8 = lead to vss 9-11
- cf Peter in Acts 2
Psalm 17 Prayer with Confidence
- Prayer from honest lips
- determining not to sin in what I say
- Sanctification = process
- Praying bc confident in God listening + answer
- His view of God ________________ Yours?
Psalm 18 Reflection on Deliverance
- Done with the run (Saul > David) II Sam 22
- Surrounded & distressed
- Images of God come from experience
Psalm 19 How God Speaks
- Revelation thru Nature (General)
- Revelation thru Word (Torah (Specific)
- Psalm 119
Psalm 20 Prayer/Blessing of Others
- Based on experience
- A pattern for intercession
- God or human ingenuity & strength
Discussion, Meditation, Application
- WhichPsalm/verse spoke to you most? Why?
- Which Psalm can you adapt as a pattern of prayer?
- Which Psalm conveys an emotion you can relate to recently?
- Foundations crumbling + Godly disappearing - what can we do to restore our society to Godly ways?
My take away + _________________________________
For next week: Psalm 21-30